One of the most common questions we get asked is “is it safe to brew with my Custom AP?”
All coatings and paints used in the process common to the auto-paint industry and are stable and resilient when they are shipped.
These brewers are sold as art so we have not saught any Food Safe Certification. As such, we are not legally allowed to sell them as “Safe To Use”. We are, however, well aware that many people buy them with the intention of using them so we have performed Due Diligence by getting independant lab tests done to see the impact of the application process.
Process and results were as follows:
- Water from the same bottle was used for all three brewers.
- Brewers were washed as per normal use; not sterilised.
- Boiled and allowed to steep at max temp in an inverted brewer for 2min.
- Pressed through a metal filter (same filter for each sample).
- Samples taken from:
- Stock standard Aeropress straight out of the box
- A Custom AP coated within the last week (we used a WAC Plungie)
- An aged Custom AP (we used the original Soundgarden AP which is 2 years old).
The water samples were tested for solvent contamination via gas chromatography with the following comments and report from the lab:
You will be happy to know the water samples are all identical and do not have any solvent contamination (see PDF file below).
Please note, our GC does not detect any metals (it only picks up components that convert to gas, hence the term Gas Chromatography).
I hope these results have made your day….
These units will remain being sold as art. The choice to use them lies with the buyer as we cannot recommend their use. If you intend to use your brewer, please ensure it is washed thoroughly with warm, soapy water before use.
Please do not put art in the dishwasher.
If you have any further questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to get in touch.